Thursday, January 22, 2009

E: El Cholo (Santa Monica)


Overall Grade: 2.9

When you think bloody marys, you probably don’t think Mexican restaurant, and in choosing El Cholo as our bloody mary outing, neither did we. In fact, the plan was to find a fun place to drink heavily to celebrate the three day weekend in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr., the upcoming inauguration, and our right as Americans to get drunk on a Sunday afternoon. In so doing, we discovered a pretty decent bloody mary.

To be honest, the details of the bloody mary are kind of blurry. It was the first in a long line of drinks (which were actually pretty good – margaritas, pomegranate margaritas, sangria – mmm sangria). From what I remember, there was some tomatoey/v-8-ish base, an olive, some spices, some pepper, and a pretty smooth finish. Given the number of drinks we all had that day and the amount of food we ate, for the life of me I can’t tell you from the bill whether the price of the bloody mary was reasonable or not, but my instincts tell me it was.

Our waitress was great – kind of a spacey yet subtley witty girl who kept us full with drinks and food and was pleasant all 7 hours we spent there despite the fact that El Cholo forces her to wear a very silly House on the Prairie-like dress. We thoroughly enjoyed our drinking session at El Cholo. It has a laidback but fun party atmosphere, above decent food, and an overall decent bloody mary.

1. Spice - 2.25
2. Complexity - 3
3. Garnishes - 3
4. Overall Taste - 3.25
5. Price - ??

Overall:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a fan of anyone who likes to get wasted on Sundays. I actually celebrated my right as an American to get drunk yesterday (Sunday). My husband was a big fan of that. I guess he always scores high at the end of those nights. hee hee Wait, TMI? Hmmm